Monday 1 December 2008

South Staffs Day Out!

Sunday 30th November.

It was very kind to be offered a day out birding with Andy, Nobby and Mad Malc.

Stubbers Green, 10:30 - 11:30.

When being told we're off to Walsall, my thoughts were "Its a bit of a trek to Poland isn't it?". No, I jest of course!















Unfortunately for us it appears that Sunday is not a good day for the regular Caspian Gull to make an appearance. The local tip isn't working, so old Fidel Caspo must head off somewhere else to feed and wash during the day. I shall return at some point however!

Cannock Chase, 12:00 - 14:00

A smart pair of Bramblings on the bird tables at the Marquis Drive visitor centre, then over to Katyn Memorial.















Rather quiet on the heath really. 2 Ravens, a Redpoll calling overhead, Green Woodpecker, a few Reed Buntings. Not even a Stonechat!

Chasewater, 14:30 - 16:00ish

I must admit I haven't done a winter gull roost for years, and was hopelessly out of practice. They always remind me of being cold! Chasewater's definitely the place to be for a gull roost though. We managed to find an adult Mediterranean Gull however, as long as the bird was sideways on!

1 comment:

Nat and Baileys the Goldie said...

Hey Richard, you must've being doing the roost around the same time as me; where did you do it from? I've learned to pick Meds out head on now- they scowl at you!!!
Nat