Tuesday 30 December 2008

Last Blog of the Year

The big result is in folks. The 2008 "Beard of the Year" is..................

A tie between.......................




















Dr Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury. And..........













Tom Jones. That's not unusual!

I think this'll be my last blog entry for 2008. If you enjoy reading it then that's great. If not then I'm sorry, but the world wide web is your lobster.

I'm sure there'll be more nonsense, and some birding as well, in 2009. Perhaps not so much mention of Eurovision though. Without Wogan I don't think I could take much interest in it, just like Formula 1 without Murray Walker.

My cold has improved a lot now, so the first four days of January should be jam-packed with birding time. It'll be interesting to see how many bandwagon-jumpers will appear at Uttoxeter Quarry, especially if the Brent Goose is still around on New Years Eve (still there yesterday).............

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baa-humbug. I was just thinking about a trip to the infamous Uttox quarry. Instead I will drive up to Lincs and get my Brent Goose for next year. Don't want to upset the locals!!!! ha ha, only joking, happy new year. see you in 2009.
Stuart

Reg Telescope said...

Thanks for lots of enjoyable reading in 2008, Richard. Keep up the good work.

Martyn Yapp said...

Where did you say Uttox gravel Pits are ?...lol

Brent Goose, you sure it ain't plastic.

Richard Powell said...

Cheers Reg, I'm sure Kay will persuade you to get up to the mighty Staffordshire in the near future!

Martyn. I did give the Brent Goose a knock, and it did make quite a hollow sound! Considering it's also a few miles from the JCB lakes as well, make your own mind up!

Kay said...

Yes hopefully we'll be having a day out with you in North Staffs soon, Richard.

Happy New Year and Happy Birding! :)

Richard Powell said...

Thanks Stuart and Kay.

Blimey, didn't realise how quite so harsh that "bandwagon jumping" comment sounded. It wasn't meant to be, the more the merrier.

It just seems odd that whenever I go, apart from one occasion, the place is birderless!