Thursday 25 September 2008

Autumn Migrants..........

Oh eck, have I picked the wrong week to go to Shetland? My feet are itching, palms are sweating, with what I keep reading that's appearing up there over the last couple of days. And I've got two weeks to wait yet!

Siberian Thrush, Brown Flycatcher, Red-Flanked Bluetail, Blyth's Reed Warbler. Admittedly some of them are on Fair Isle, I don't think I'll be tempted off the mainland. Can you fly there and back in a day from Sumburgh?

I have decided that this autumn I'm determined to finally nail by bird nemesis, an embarrassing omission from my british list. That being Pallas's Warbler. I don't know what it is about them, but every time I try for one they disappear.

And before you say, yes I should've gone for that one in Congleton a few years ago. Dunno why I didn't now. Perhaps I knew it would disappear as well? Perhaps I didn't realise how near Congleton is to home? I do now though, I worked there for a year.

No comments: