Sunday 24 August 2008

Sunday 24th August

Uttoxeter Quarry, 13:45

I think after the excellent array of waders that were found at the quarry during the spring, perhaps it was inevitable that the return wader passage here so far hasn't been quite as spectacular. Still 3 Green Sandpipers and 2 Common Sandpipers today. However, I found another personal site tick today, in the form of a Little Egret.



There wasn't much time for photography as the bird was on it's way behind a ridge of gravel and out of sight. But I have to say, that's the most excited I've got about a Little Egret for a long time. Probably since I saw my first one in 1989. Back then it was a real rarity.

Other sightings here today included a juvenile Yellow-Legged Gull, 5 Curlew, 3 Oystercatcher, 4 Buzzard, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, 1 Green Woodpecker. Also a Painted Lady butterfly.

Buoyed by this little victory, another quick check of Blithfield was called for. The Knot was appearing in Tad Bay today, and one of the Ospreys of course, but no sign of Garganey. Then along Admaston Reach, a Whinchat accompanied the Wheatears.

An egg was also found, must belong to a Greylag considering the number of them sat in the cut sedge yesterday. It was decided that, instead of taking it home for my tea with some soldiers, a nest would be made for it. Voila!

1 comment:

Martyn Yapp said...

It's amazing how you can get all excited over such a common bird when took in the context of local patch working.

I have spoke about it on a couple of occassions on my blog, it is so hard to put into words.

One thing is for certain though, if I ever lose that feeling I would pack up birding.

As for your Spring virsus Autumn comments it is suprising how many places are better in the spring.

The gravel pits are relatively young, it's probably a food thing going on. Plenty of time for the big un.....Best of luck