Sunday 11 April 2010

Swingin' Spring

Sunday 11th April.

A small celebration was had the previous evening, due to my horse (Don't Push It, ridden by Tony McCoy) winning the Grand National sweep at work. After winning second and third prizes last year, I imagine I'll be really popular at work on Monday.............

Well, in some ways spring has arrived. But Blithfield was slightly disappointing for spring migrants today. I would've thought there'd be a Common Sandpiper around by now, but not yet. Nevertheless, Yellow Wagtail below the dam and Blackcap in Stansley Wood were my first for the year.

There were other signs of spring around. Daffodils looking resplendent:


And putting the swing into spring, some Toads doing, well, what Toads do at this time of year:


I think "getting jiggy with it" is the phrase used these days, I'm not down wiv da kidz. Personally I prefer a bit of rumpy pumpy.............

Over at Uttoxeter Quarry, last week's Pipits were replaced with more Wagtails. Three Yellow and one White Wagtail around. Really lucky with how this picture turned out, despite how far my scope was zoomed in and how far away I was from this Yellow Wagtail:


No sign of the female Scaup but there was a female Goldeneye, 18 Goosander, 2 Shelduck, 2 Shoveler, 8 Teal, 1 Mandarin, 2 Green Sands, plenty of Swallows and Sand Martins. And oh yes, these two things:


At least the one on the right resembles an Egyptian Goose, but blimey, what went on with the other one? It's got the body of an Egyptian Goose, but the head of who knows what. Answers on a postcard.

No comments: