Tuesday 6 April 2010

Pip Pip Hooray

Sunday 4th April.

Sometimes I don't get chance to go birding on Easter Sunday. But I did this year and I'm glad I did. Although it wasn't a very good start, responding to a pager message of a Kittiwake at Westport Lake. It had gone by the time I got there, I didn't really hang around that long either.

So onto Blithfield next. A check of the causeway for the Little Gull was quickly aborted due to the strength of the wind, I couldn't keep my telescope still. Instead, I viewed from the comfort of the hide at Beech Tree point. The adult Little Gull, with it's black head starting to show through, showed well if a bit distantly.

There was also the odd House Martin in amongst the flocks of Sand Martins and Swallows. Plus a male Wheatear that showed wonderfully well along the overflow wall of the dam.

Finishing off at Uttoxeter Quarry. Along a short stretch of shoreline, Andy and I managed to locate a stunning summer-plumaged Water Pipit:



My pictures don't really do the bird justice. If that wasn't enough there was also a Rock Pipit (site tick):


And a White Wagtail:


It's the combination of the three together that I've never seen before, and feel rather privileged to have witnessed it. When we get to the end of this year I'm sure this will be a highlight. Add in a female Scaup, 9 Goosander, 2 Mandarins and a Green Sandpiper, at a local patch a few minutes from home, that is birding at it's best!

No comments: