Monday 17 November 2008

Hmm, Juicy Mandarins!

At the time of writing, my copy of the West Midland Bird Club annual report arrived in the post. This is the first one I've received actually. After only joining the club proper this year, following many years of just a Blithfield permit. Looking through the list of names at the back, low and behold there I am! Mind you, so are lots of other people as well.

Sunday 16th November, Uttoxeter Quarry, 11:50 - 13:20.

Deary me, I shouldn't feel too disappointed with 3 Green Sandpipers and not much else should I? Most notably no diving duck. Still, days like this make the good days all the more sweeter, I'm still pleased with what was achieved a couple of weeks previous. There wasn't much more here the previous day either, although I thought 3 Willow Tits was notable.

Brookleys Lake, 14:00 - 15:00

13 Mandarin
1 calling Tawny Owl
16 Siskin















Hmmmmmm. Not those kind of Mandarins of course, I mean the Duck form. Although we are into the time of year for Satsumas and the like.

The first I heard of Brookleys Lake was three years ago when a Ferruginous Duck turned up there. After looking where it is, amazingly I realised it's only a few miles away from home and right next to Alton Towers. Even then for my first visit I was impressed with the number of Mandarin here, about 8. So 13 is a record count for me.

Also lots of Mallard and Coot, but again no diving duck, Tufted Duck, Pochard and the like. Where have they all gone?

No comments: