Sunday 31 July 2011

Some little balls of fluff, and some Insects

I haven't gone far this weekend, been concentrating more on watching the second test. Just a quick check of Blithfield causeway after work on Friday, and a couple of visits to Uttoxeter Quarry in amongst the cricket.

Thanks to a pager message mentioning 2 Sandwich Terns and 2 Knot at Blithers. On arrival at the causeway on Friday, I could make out one juvenile Sandwich Tern and at least half a dozen Arctic Terns. No sign of any Knot but a nice chat with Trevor Hardiman.

As for the quarry, it's been ok considering the time of year and the warm, settled weather, but just lacking a rarity. A few Green and Common Sands still around, 2 Dunlin, 1 Curlew, 12 Goosander, 3 Redstarts. More family parties around as well, including Common Terns, Yellow Wagtails, and most endearing of all a family of Little Grebes. There are two fluffy humbugs that are very cute, and waste no time into hitching a lift when they want to.


And as it's summer, I've finally succumbed to getting my camera out to take some pictures of insects. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging or anything like that, but I'm quite an expert at this kind of thing you know. So here we are then, some daytime moths:




And some stick insects:



There, see? I know my stuff.

1 comment:

Kay said...

I'll say one thing about you Richard, no one could accuse you of not knowing your onions when it comes to ladybugs and other crawly stuff ;-)