Monday 6 July 2009

Eve of The Ashes, Come on England!

No birding done last weekend. Never mind Wimbledon (despite Andy Murray doing rather well this year. Don't worry, he'll do even better next year, or maybe even in the US Open in September), this summer is all about The Ashes! Starting with the first test in Cardiff on Wednesday.

Thankfully I once heard Jonathan Agnew say "we've removed the 2006/07 5-0 whitewash out of Wisden", so that's good enough for me. I'm more than happy to wax lyrical about the 2005 series. Even the Sooty Tern on Anglesey couldn't tempt me away from the telly back then. Even now watching replays of that second test at Edgbaston, where England won by two runs, still sets my heart running.

As like 2005, I'm sure it'll be a great sporting contest as well as toughly fought on both sides. It would be a cheap shot to go on about the usual stereotypical phrase "Aussies are bunch of convicts". But no, I can do better than that. Lest not forget what the Aussies are capable of, in particular the "Underarm Incident" of 1981 here. Ending in some wise words from the great Richie Benaud.

By the way, I've haven't a clue who's going to win this time. In a way it was worth the humiliation of a 5-0 whitewash just to see the back of messrs Warne, McGrath and Langer. And of course since then Gilchrist and Hayden have retired.

No comments: